Paramount Pictures won a bidding war with the likes of Netflix, Universal and Amazon to acquire the film rights to Tomi Adeyemi’s Young Adult trilogy “Children of Blood and Bone.”.
Adeyemi will have a prominent role in the film adaptation, which included writing the script and executive producing the movie.
“Tomi Adeyemi’s ‘Children of Blood and Bone’ has not only become a phenomenon in the YA world, it has transformed every expectation of what world-building fantasy can be,” said Co-President of Paramount Pictures Motion Group Daria Cercek. “It’s with enormous pride that our studio—along with Tomi and our partners Wyck, Marty and Karen—set out to bring this franchise to life on the big screen. With its thought-provoking and timely themes, we know that this story will resonate with a global audience.”
Here is a list of accolades associated with the book:
- Instant New York Times Bestseller
- New York Times Notable Children’s Books of 2018
- TIME Top 10 Best YA and Children’s Books of 2018
- NPR’s Book Concierge 2018 Great Reads List
- Buzzfeed’s 24 Best YA Books of 2018
- Bustle’s Top 25 Best Young Adults Books of 2018
- 2018 Kirkus Prize Finalist
- YALSA William C. Morris YA Debut Award Finalist
- Paste Magazine’s 30 Best YA Novels of 2018
- Newsweek’s 61 Best Books from 2018
- Boston Globe’s Best Children’s Books of 2018
- Publishers Weekly Best YA Books of 2018
- School Library Journal Best Books of 2018
Paramount pitched a major seven-figure screenwriting guarantee to outbid its competitors and to secure the film rights of the top selling novel.
The Children of Blood and Bone is about “a woman blessed with magical powers by the gods and living in a place where you are forbidden to use them, who teams up with a princess to summon the gods and bring down the oppressive regime.”
The second book, “Children of Virtue and Vengeance,” was published in 2019. The third is slated to come out in 2023.
“Paramount’s passion and enthusiasm to bring this story to life has been incredible,” Adeyemi said. “We are all so excited for this new chapter and are already hard at work.”