Bahamians voted for a new government (including electing new Prime Minister Philip Davis) in General Elections held on Thursday 16 September 2021, continuing the trend of one-term governments taking place for the past 24 years.
Preliminary results show a landslide victory for the Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) led by Attorney Phillip “Brave” Davis, over the Free National Movement (FNM) of outgoing Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis.
With Thursday’s outcome, the recent election results in The Bahamas are:
- 2021 Elections: PLP over FNM 32 – 7
- 2017 Elections: FNM over PLP 35 – 4
- 2012 Elections: PLP over FNM 29 – 9
- 2007 Elections: FNM over PLP 23-18
- 2002 Elections: PLP over FNM 29 – 7 (plus 4 independents)
- 1997 Elections: FNM over PLP 34 – 6
A CARICOM Election Observation Mission monitored the pre-Election and Election Day activities and will issue a Preliminary Statement outlining its observations, followed by a detailed report to CARICOM Secretary-General Dr Carla Barnett.